Friday, April 6, 2012

Portion Control

So one of the many things I've have learned along my fabulous, yet sometime tedious, WW journey is how important portion control is.  It can go both ways.  Healthy foods, eaten in extreme excess is no bueno; however, yummy non-healthy foods eaten in moderation are fine - so learning to balance those has been difficult.  For example, if I eat bad for a snack or early meal - it's the like the rest of the day is no holds barred.  Nearly every decision from that point forward is not the best.  Sooooo, that being said - enjoy what you want - but figure out the best way for you to eat it.  Here are some suggestions!

  • Muffin Tins:  I am OBSESSED with muffin tins currently.  As you will soon see after I post some new recipes. :)  I love them because I can control how much I eat without weighing things to death.  I use them for everything now: meatloaf, spaghetti, quiche, pancakes, tacos, meatballs, pizzas, dessert, you name it.  It's easy to fix, simple to serve, easy to pack for my lunches, delicious and PERFECT PORTION CONTROL!!
  • Chocolate: Hands down I freeze it.  If I want chocolate, and I actually eat some, all bets are off.  It's like potato chips - I can't stop at one.  However, frozen chocolate is just not the same.  So I freeze a bag of the snack size candy bars (usually one to two points each) and only take one out to let it thaw if I'm craving chocolate.  Not only are the points ok for a treat, but I won't eat 10 of them. 
  • Cake/Sweets: Same thing as above, I've started doing everything in muffin tins.  It's the perfect portion and I know exactly what I can have.  Cookies tend to be different sizes unless you weigh each one, cakes and pies are too easy to take a "sliver" off of. 
So go buy mini-muffin tins and regular size - you won't regret it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment